Friday, March 02, 2007

Alaskan Adventure Part 2

When I arrived at the hospital yesterday morning, I was 30 min early. That's usually my plan. Get there early, read a little in the Word, call Mom for a last minute pep talk, get pumped and ready to meet people. Yesterday I got the greatest verse:
Proverbs 16:3 "Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."
How great is that? After reading that, I moved over to sit by a window waiting for the residency director to meet me. I met the neatest group of people. They had come in and were waiting to start work for the day. The hospital has a program that provides work for developmentally-delayed adults, and so I made about 5 new friends during my wait. It was the perfect start to the day.

The interview went well: beautiful facility, great preceptors, love the director, and of course the residents are super-nice. Yesterday afternoon I hung out with Bert, one of the residents while Adam worked a night shift. We had a good time discussing theology, hunting two bald eagles, and seeing Anchorage. We stopped at Cook's Inlet (I think that's the name) and watched these massive pieces of ice move with the water. It was amazing. The winds were about 20mph, so the Explorer was rocking as we sat on the bluff. We went to Earthquake park where the quake of '61 caused a piece of land to basically dive under water when the plates shifted. Really neat. The mountains are phenomenal. They surround the city. BEAUTIFUL place.

I'm watching the Iditarod start tomorrow. I think there are 83 mushers in the race. That should be great. We may ski tomorrow as well. I'm having fun. I hope y'all have a great weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...i drive in arkansas...and you are enjoying God's beauty and art work in Alaska...not fair in my book!!!
I'm jealous but happy that you're having a good time!
~Natalie

Anonymous said...

Glad you're having a good time.Remember don't get hurt tomorrow and hope you don't get too cold.
Love you,
Lecia

Anonymous said...

Anchorage is a beautiful place in the summer. I'm sure it looks amazing in winter. I hope that this experience of interviews has taught you a lot :)