Thursday, March 15, 2007

NASPA

I'm here in HOT-lanta a.k.a. the ATL or just Atlanta for those of you unfamiliar with the ghettro-fabulous nomenclature given this town. I rode down with Kam Nola, the associate executive director of TPA to catch the meeting of the National Alliance of State Pharmacy Associations (NASPA). It's so neat to get to sit in on meetings where the heads of pharmacy from the various states are here talking about legislative concerns, professional development projects, and other topics. I just eat it up. I also had the pleasure of meeting a few of them during the meeting and the reception that followed. I was introduced to the Executive Director from Alaska, and we sat together during the reception talking about culture, pharmacy issues, and her experience with her association. I had a blast.

I'm actually here for the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) annual meeting. This will be my fourt year, and it's wierd not running around as chapter president of our APhA-ASP (Academy of Student Pharmacists) chapter from UT. I don't have to be mother hen, making sure everyone else is where they're supposed to be and going to a million meetings of my own. I'm just riding Baeteena and Kam's coattails, meeting influential people and getting fired up about the hot topics in pharmacy. It's so funny how I get this desire to jump right in, gear up, and get ready to battle for the progression of this profession. I have no idea what that means toward my career path, but it's wierd how at-home I feel around people pioneering our futureas pharmacists. Who knows?

Another thing I LOVE about these meetings is seeing people I haven't talked to in a while. I've been around here long enough to establish a small network of friends that also frequent these meetings. Whether from UT, Tennessee, or I've just worked with them in APhA-ASP, it's always a joy to reconnect and then branch out further. I know all of my close friends are laughing as they read this because they understand my strange fascination with meeting people and building relationships.

And amid all this chaos, I'm still sitting in waiting to hear about where I'm gonna live and work next year. AAAHHH! I'm so excited to find out. I'll be pumped about any of my choices, but I accidentally kinda set my heart on one. Whatever, happens will be find. We'll see.

Brooke Off-the-wall, if you're reading this, it was a great surprise to see you and Meredith today, and I hope you have fun with us here in the ATL.

No comments: