Friday, September 29, 2006

Just kidding...

Bet you thought I was flying to Hungary today. Well, I did too. However, Northwest airlines had other plans for me.

I showed up at the airport by 3:00, stressed and unsure if I would make it in time. I got up to the counter, and one of my bags was 7 lbs. over the limit. So I moved some stuff over to the other bag, and then they were under the limit. Now the other bag was beastly, and I was having a hard time getting it up on the scale again. Seeing no one ready to help, I just gave one big heave-ho and dropped that bad boy in the scale. I heard a ding and then saw the number read "0.0" ! I broke the scale! I didn't get in trouble. No one even noticed until they started throwing other people's bags up there.

Made it through security and check-in in about 20 minutes. When I got to the terminal, they were telling us that the flight hadn't left memphis yet and would be delayed secondary mechanical problems. Yeah, so we finally left Nashville at 6:22 p.m. and arrived at Memphis at 7:15. My Amsterdam flight was supposed to leave at 7:25 p.m.

So as I'm running down the terminals, a lady tells me it's no use, they already shut the door.

After a long afternoon of anger and typical Lauren-Webb-angry sarcasm on the phone with NW employees and whoever else will listen.

Moral of story: Airlines are inefficient. They're all broke, and the junky part is, you don't have an option. Flying is a necessity. They're one of the few occupations that has no accountability or quality control. What do you think would happen if I just gave people the wrong pills? Righttttt.

Tonight I'm staying with fun and close friends Donna and Leela in Memphis. I'm glad. They're fun pharmacy girls, and they always make me feel good. We're trying this whole thing again tomorrow. I forewent the hotel option and got some food vouchers instead.

So I'll let you know if I ever make it over there. And I promise to try to keep these shorter in the future.

No comments: