Tuesday, February 06, 2007

In the Dub

Washington, that is. I apologize up front that this post may be a little random. I plan on touching on the shallow, not-important things then wrapping up with things that matter. So here goes...

The first leg went fine. Got on the plane in Nashville and got off at Denver. Had some time to kill. Ate supper. Called a few folks. Walked to the gate for my flight to SeaTac. There had been a medical emergency of some sort that I never figured out that caused the boarding to be delayed. But no big deal. I got put by a young guy who played the drums in a band and who I thought was going to beat the armrests off the row before the flight was over. But he was nice.

We landed about 10 minutes behind schedule, then it took them 20 to get our luggage off. Then I'm off to find the rental car. Well, because it's 11:00 p.m. now, the office inside the baggage claim is closed. Now I have to lug everything downstairs to the parking garage...which is where I find out that the company I chose has its office off-site, and I will have to catch a shuttle. So I walk over to the courtesy phone, dial my people, and let the guy on the other end tell me that they don't have any cars but to come on. I was ticked at this point. So I get on this shuttle and make the driver tell me that they do in fact have a car for me before I leave the premises. Otherwise, reservation or not, I was bout to be hitting up the places on site.

So this nice driver who unfortunately gets caught in this mess takes me over and I encounter the manager who doesn't care about and is in no hurry. And customer service is not a concept that has dawned upon these people, but they're generally nice, so we proceed.

All he had left was a black Jeep Commander. So I ended up with a way more expensive car for my same cheap rate. And this thing is G'd. Leather interior, huge interior. I really like it. I had forgotten what it was like to drive an SUV. I kinda missed it for a second. So I drove down to my hotel and things get way uneventful from here.

Interview today. Interview tomorrow. Now for the good stuff...

I was reading in Psalm 69 today at breakfast, and I realized that David was such a great pray-er. Prayer is something I've been wanting to become more effective at, and he's such a great one to learn from: so passionate, so real, and even though I know it's translated, his articulation moves me.

I find myself wanting to pray exactly what he did. Verses 5-6:

O God, You know my folly; the wrongs I have done are not hidden
from You. Let not those who hope in You be put to shame through me, O Lord
God of hosts; let not those who seek You be brought to dishonor through
me, O God of Israel.


Then in verse 13, he absolutely nails it:

But as for me, my prayer is to You, O LORD. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of Your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're in Seattle? Hey give me a call while you're up here, love to hang out and get some coffe with you

Michael