Saturday, January 28, 2006

Psalm 73

Asaph is speaking here as an honest minister. He addresses the fact that it bothered him for a bit how godless, worldly people seemed to have it all. He goes on and on about the "advantage" the apathetic seem to have over those, like himself, who are doing their best to be pure in heart as they follow hard after God. I couldn't help but relate as I see today's celebrities seemingly "living the good life". When the names "Paris Hilton" or "Tom Cruise" are mentioned, what comes to mind for you? Do you wonder what their lives are based on? I always do.

If I could interview everyone in the world and ask them all only one question, it would be "What about your life is the last thought at the end of the day that allows you to sleep at night?". It's a simple production of syntax that basically addresses what people feel their purpose is, or what the purpose of life is in general.

But Asaph notices that these wealthy, successful, beautiful, arrogant people seem to be immune to this thought process. And he almost regrets trying to keep himself pure. He wonders if it's been worth it...

Then in verses 16 and 17, illumination comes. He tries to reconcile himself to what he feels is injustice, and when he ends up in mental oppression, he enters the sanctuary of God. Then it all becomes clear. He gets that eternal perspective of which 2 Corinthians 4:18 speaks. His humanness is exposed, and it's ugly to him. The beauty is God's, and He let's Asaph behold it (vs. 24) when he begins to listen.

Verses 25-28 are words to live on. I would suggest committing these to memory. The honesty and clarity with which he speaks them is beautiful...

25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
And earth has nothing I desire besides You.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
27 Those who are far from You will perish;
you destroy all who are unfaithful to You.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
I will tell of all Your deeds.

No comments: