Thursday, February 02, 2006




I was driving down Southern Ave. on my way to meet Vilas, my president-elect, before Fuel. I needed to catch up with him since I've been out of the ASP loop for over a month now. The roads have been wet, so I knew not to drive my usual style. I saw a silver Ford Focus stopped at a stop sign on my right. She had just crossed the rail road tracks. Then I saw the unthinkable, she was inching out as if no one were coming. Sure enough, she kept coming until it was unevitable that I slammed into her driver's side door. I slammed on my brakes, but my tires didn't catch, and swerving didn't help. It was like the All State commercial. I keep playing it over in my head. I anticipated the impact, and then it seemed like an explosion. The car stopped immediately, and after taking inventory to see that I was okay, no bleeding, no apparent broken bones, I noticed the car was smoking. My airbags had come out, and my lip was still burning from where they must have caught me. I jumped out of the car immediately after grabbing what I thought was my cell phone (it ended up being my Ipod) because my fear was that my car might explode. Then it hit me to check on the other driver. She was okay, a little woozy, but unable to get out of her door. A girl had been behind the other driver at the stop sign and seen the whole thing. She was amazingly helpful and called 911 for us. There is a fire department right down the way, so we got them to come out since my car was leaking gas. I stayed calm the whole time, trying to discern the best way to handle everything. I try to cover my bases so that I don't have regrets later. The police came out, got a report, and they hauled our cars off. I only teared up talking to my stepdad and my buddy, Taylor, who came and got me.

It's amazing how things happen so quickly yet change so much about our lives. I've been so hungry lately to grow, and God has really been feeding me through His Word, prayer, and fellowship with others. So I knew He was in control and allowed this to happen for a reason. My prayer is that I glean everything I can from the experience. He is faithful. It could have been so much worse. I look at this time of adversity (finding a rental, getting my car back or finding a new one) as a challenge to better me. I trust God to finish His work in me (Phil. 1:6). I've asked Him to by whatever means necessary. Every experience is preparation for the rest of my life, whether on earth or beyond. That's how I see it. He's big enough to where I don't have to worry, wonder, or fear the unknown.

6 comments:

Daron said...

Mom called and told me that you had been in a wreck! I'm so glad you're okay. I love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you're okay. Definitely something to be thankful for that's for sure...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're okay! Girl, i can't believe you didn't say anything!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren,
I read Will's blog and felt really sorry for you. Sorry to hear about the wreck, maybe you can get a cooler car, now.

Anonymous said...

man, i remember when i got in my first wreck. i wasn't driving, but it was still really scary! i'll be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

So do you have a BMW on order to replace the Honda? Glad you are okay...sucks that the air bags got you. Those will probably total the car out....they are so expensive to replace. Had the old wisdom teeth taken out this morning. Doing amazingly well. Have no pain whatsoever and have only taken 1 Percocet. I was wanting to be able to eat those like candy. :) Take care.